I listened to a wannabe comedian describe menopause as a state in a woman’s life when all activities with the opposite sex ceases due to the changes that occurs in the woman. He depicted a state of misery which every woman should dread.
Did anyone tell him that there is andropause for men? It can only get better during menopause, with the menstrual cycle gone, no PMS’s, no cramps, no sanitary towels and tampons here and there. (My thoughts while others cracked their ribs at the silly joke). Ok! Am not premenopausal, menopausal or even post-menopausal. Lucky to still be in the better side of 35, but that does not in any way mean that I do not look forward to my menopausal years.
Let’s talk Nutrition!
On a healthy diet, every woman can go through menopause, deal with all the hot flashes, vaginal dryness and other symptoms, stay attractive and have fun with her partner. If you are around, within or past menopause, here are some diet tips for you.
- Deal with osteoporosis which is one of the health issues women face during and after menopause with a calcium rich diet like the non fat or skim milk, okra and leafy greens. Do not forget to up your vitamin D intake too because it is very essential for transporting calcium into the bones. You can take vitamin D fortified food and other foods like cod liver, sardines, mackerel and eggs. Do not forget the best source of vitamin D- sunlight. A 10 minute exposure daily will be good for you. Have you checked your vitamin D level recently?
- Do not let weight gain rid you of pleasure during this period. Maintain a diet comprising of complex carbohydrates, vegetables and fruits.
- Deal with hot flashes and balance your estrogen levels by eating soy bean and flaxseed. (Flaxseed is rare in Nigeria, but the supplements are available).
- Eat bioflavonoid rich foods like oranges, grapefruits, tangerines etc, to successfully get relieve from night time leg cramps and bruises which usually occur during menopause.
- Do not let your vagina stay dry; reduce the dryness by eating foods that are high in vitamin A and beta-carotene. They will strengthen your mucous membranes and keep the grove on!
- Eat avocados and let the oils offer you its rich nourishment. You will love your skin.
- Pears, raisins, honey, peas, beans are rich in boron, eat them and reduce loss of minerals from your bones (osteoporosis), prevent muscle and joints aches and maintain a healthy hair and skin.
- Make menopause fun!
***Menopause is not Men O Pause, this guy need to work on his jokes. What is your take on this?